WALLS ON WESTERN
AN OPEN MURAL CALL
Walls on Western, a program of Zone 3, is a new mural program intended to highlight local artists, both in Allston Brighton and throughout the Boston area. Throughout the next year, Zone 3 will announce several locations for murals along Western Ave. Boston artists with a connection to Allston are encouraged to apply.
We are currently seeking proposals for the second mural in the series. Wall #2 is approximately 20ft wide x 11ft tall, adjacent to an outdoor space that will soon be open and activated for public enjoyment along Western Ave in Allston.
Zone 3 is a Harvard-sparked initiative to further activate and energize Western Ave with creative programs, events, and retail. The hub of Zone 3 activity is currently the cluster of buildings at 267 Western Ave in Allston. Formerly a dry cleaning facility and an auto body garage, these buildings have recently been transformed through Harvard-led efforts. Walls on Western joins a roster of engaging programs and public art initiatives that have been implemented along the Western Ave corridor since 2015.
- Any artist living in the greater Boston area (Boston + 20 mile radius)
- Mural experience is preferred, but not mandatory.
- All materials are provided, including paint, brushes, and scaffolding.
- Artists will receive a $1500 – 2500 design stipend, depending on experience and the complexity of work
- In addition to the design stipend, artists will be paid hourly for onsite work (i.e. mural implementation).
GUIDELINES & SCHEDULE
Submissions are due at midnight on Monday, October 23. Submit materials using the form below.
Please submit the following
- A completed application
- A brief bio
- A current resume / CV
- It’s been said that anyone who has ever lived in Boston has a connection to Allston. What’s your Allston story? How would this project add to your Allston connection
- Concept Description & Rough Design Mock-Up
- Up to 5 images of previous work
Works will be selected on artistic merit, strength of concept, feasibility, and the connection to the neighborhood. Works must be original creations.
Upon selection, artists must provide a signed service agreement, a signed Waiver of Rights and Release, and must procure the required insurance.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org